This September sees the return of American football to Dublin for the third time in five years. The Aer Lingus College Football Classic kicks off with Boston College and Georgia Tech going head to head in Dublin's Aviva Stadium on Saturday, 3rd September.
The Boston College Eagles face strong competition from the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets as they start their 2016 season. This will be Boston College's second time in Ireland playing football, having originally been in 1988 where they were victorious against Army in front of 42,000 spectators in the old Lansdowne Road stadium. With an expected turnout of 25,000 fans travelling from the US and Europe, this exciting event is not to be missed.
The Aer Lingus College Football is much more than a game it is an experience. A number of events are taking place around the football game to ensure our visitors to the Emerald Isle have a great time.
- Trinity College is the official Welcome Village for 2016 Classic
- Pep Rallies will take place at the iconic Trinity Village main square
- Muthar Kent will be a guest speaker for the CEO Club Forum held at the Dublin Mansion House
- Senator George Mitchell will be a key note speaker at the Irish Institute Lunch on the 30th August
- The Faculty symposium University and the Innovation Economy will be held in the Burke Theatre
- A University band of more than 150 participants will cheer for both schools attending
- An American Football Showcase will take place in Trinity College on Friday 2nd with six high school teams playing against each other
The Aviva is the magnificent stadium where the Aer Lingus College Football Classic will be held. It also held the 2012 game between the University of Notre Dame and U.S. Naval Academy.
The stadium, located in Dublin is very impressive with the ability to hold a capacity of 51,700 and 48,000 for American football. Built on the former Lansdowne Road stadium, the Aviva is home to the Irish Rugby Football Union and the Republic of Ireland national football team not to mention this exciting international event. To find out more and to purchase a ticket for this exciting event, please visit the website http://collegefootballireland.com/.